Monday, December 28, 2009

Quilt Artist, His Work & Mary Jo's...


Last week we featured an article about "Artful Quilting" and we received quite a few responses. Ben Hollingsworth from Georgia sent in a photo, his blog address and a lovely note. Read on...

"I retired from teaching in 2006 and shortly after
that I started quilting. My wife got me involved with two quilt
guilds. I am actively involved with both and have worked on the show committee for both guild's shows. Fortunately, they alternate with one show in even numbered years and the other in odd numbered years.

In 2008 I had 5 quilts in the Chattahoochee Evening Stars show and
won two first place ribbons and the Viewer's Choice award for my
landscape quilt "Reflections Along the Chattahoochee". That quilt was
also accepted in the Houston International Quilt Festival in October.
I am attaching a photo of that quilt to this email as well as a link
to my blog about the show.

About three months ago I finished my latest art quilt which I hope to
enter in the Houston show next year. It is called "Sunbonnet Sue Goes to the Museum". The concept is basically - what would happen if
Sunbonnet Sue had the same zeal as Johnny Appleseed and spread
sunbonnets every where that she went? What if she went to the museum
and put hats on all of the people in the paintings? Several of the fabrics
for this quilt were purchased at Mary Jo's.

I also make traditional patterned quilts but really enjoy modifying
and manipulating fabric and then embellished as a quilt.
I am also a member of a art quilt group called Fiber Art Fusion in
Marietta."
Ben Hollingsworth
Alpharetta, GA


Such an inspiring fellow. He leads an artful quilting life! Thanks so much for sharing, Ben.
Do you have a story to share? Send it in today, we always love to see what you all are up to and how you are turning Mary Jo's Cloth into your own personal creations!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! thank you! smiles.