Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quilters, Tour Buses & The Business of Quilting...


At Mary Jo’s Cloth Store we love our quilters. They come by the busloads, small groups, in pairs, and by themselves. Quilters arrive with the excitement of Christmas morning, all smiles and with anticipation of finding the perfect fabric for their projects. Quilters are a vivacious, fun and energetic group. Shopping with us is always an adventure because of our huge selection and the amazing prices. Remember to check our website often for incredible fabrics we have put on sale. Imagine saving even more money on the upcoming projects you have been dreaming up.
We receive emails almost everyday with intriguing stories. Recently Elena McDowell from Raleigh, NC is an avid quilter and has an online business selling her beautiful work.
“Quilting has been the creative focus of my life for over 30 years. I have had the pleasure of living in NC for the past 15 years, and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every visit to Mary Jo's during that time. My dear friend, Mary, and I paid you a visit about 3 months ago and between the 2 of us, spent well over4 figures on your fabulous quilting fabrics, especially your Aunt Grace and Civil War fabrics!! Over the past year my interest has changed from working primarily with Aunt Grace fabrics to "selvage quilting". My friendly local bee buddies and my internet pals from all over the country send me their selvage strips and I turn their trash into treasure! I have always loved the little color dots and interesting information that manufacturers put on their selvage edges; now that I have started using them in my quilt making, life is so much more colorful and fun!
I have become good friends with Karen Griska, who recently published a book entitled "Quilts from the Selvage Edge" (her blog is wonderful). We keep each other inspired on a daily basis!
I have won over 20 ribbons at the NC State Fair and other local quilt shows, and currently have 6 quilts in the NC State Fair in Raleigh. Wish me luck! This will be the first year that I have entered any selvage quilts, so we will see how they are received by the judges!"
You go girl. Such an inspiration to hear how quilting is a part of your daily life and that you have created a business based on your personal passion, quilting!

Everyone, do you have a story, project or Mary Jo's experience to share with us?
Send an email today and you may be featured in an article or on our community page.

2 comments:

Elena said...

Thanks so much for including me in the blog! It was such a surprise and a thrill to "see my name in lights"!

research paper service said...

Your article was quite interesting and the pictures that you have added are so beautiful. The pictures are the way you presented your article made it so engaging. Keep going.