Saturday, November 1, 2008

Formal & Bridal, Dreamy Choices...


Beautiful Lace, Satins, Crepes and Sensuous Silks are just some of the fabrics you will always find in our Bridal and Formal Department. We work hard to make sure you have the finest selection of the best fabrics available today. We have become known as the “go-to” spot for anyone who is making a Wedding Dress, Bridesmaids Dresses or Fancy and Chic Party dresses.
People come and spend hours in this very inspiring department.
Over the years we have gotten to know quite a few seamstresses, some have been shopping with us for decades. We love their visits and enjoy hearing about the different projects they are working on. It is like catching up with old friends.

Melinda Waddell lives in Knoxville, Tennesee. She makes the big trip to Mary Jo’s several times a year.
Melinda’s Story…
I started making my own clothes when I was in high school. I have never had a sewing lesson. I have learned by many a mistake. In 1985 my neighbor asked me to make her wedding dress. I said yes and after I made hers I decided to start a business. During the process of making my neighbors dress I was lucky to meet Ann Knight, who was the seamstress for Clarence Brown Theater at the University of Tennessee. We be came immediate friends and cohorts in sewing. Over the years we made many a trip to Mary Jo's Cloth Store. Leaving Knoxville at 5:00am and returning home the same day. I can't say enough about all that Ann taught me. She gave me the confidence to try anything. Sadly she passed away 3-27-04. My last words to her were: When I need you, you better come to me...and she still does.

Why do I like to sew? I like to make people happy. When I see tears of joy in the bride's eyes while she is trying on her wedding dress, I know that I have done my job or when someone is hard to fit and for the first time ever, they have a garment that fits. I think I get more joy out of my job than my customers. I make wedding dresses, bridesmaid, mother of the bride/groom, prom, madrigal and impersonator costumes. I was the head seamstress for the T.V. show "Christly". and "Unsolved Mysteries."
Mary Jo’s Cloth Store is the best fabric store!!! I love everyone that works there. Angie and Maggie are WONDERFUL. I could not do my job without them.
Thanks, Melinda
It warms our hearts to hear such heartfelt stories from our customers. Everyone seems like family.

Do you have a Mary Jo’s story? Could you send it to us? We are working on a Community Page for the website, stay tuned for the launch date of our newest project! We then will have a wonderful collection from our customers of tips and tricks, inspirations, and lots of sewing advice. We believe our customers are the most talented and clever folks around. Think about being a part of it, all you have to do is email us your stories, tips and photos of your projects.

No comments: